MSLGROUP was tasked to launch Dunkin’ Donuts into SA in an extremely competitive local environment, with global competing brands, Starbucks and Krispy Kreme, entering only a few months before.
To successfully launch to local audiences, drive brand awareness, sales and establish Dunkin’ Donuts as the leading coffee and baked goods brand in SA, we initiated an integrated campaign with lead creative agency, 140BBDO and media agency TMI, which gave South Africans the power to influence the launch date.
Campaign concept: Give South Africans the power to get their taste of Dunkin’ Donuts sooner.
The campaign aimed to create an emotional connection with consumers, so that by the time they got their first taste of Dunkin’ they were familiar with the brand. The launch concept created a rich platform for us to cultivate an authentic relationship with our target market.
We gave South Africans the power to influence the launch date by staging a range of challenges for the public to meet. By helping to meet the set targets, South Africans could move launch date sooner. Find, share, drink, like, follow, comment – each engagement brings South Africa’s #tasteofdunkin sooner.
- Sales targets exceeded by 100% over launch period;
- Approx 100 000 donuts & over 2500 cups of coffee sold over launch weekend.
- Over the campaign period, Dunkin’ Donuts was the most talked about coffee restaurant in Cape Town, generating 1700% more engagement than its nearest competitor.
- Dunkin’ media impressions garnered and AVE of R 5.3 Million.
- Overall organic reach of 45%
- Total Digital Reach: 3 882 816
- Over 5000 South Africans queued to purchase product on launch day;
- Fans queued for 25 hours on launch day – A new SA record!
- Queues at restaurant for 3 weeks after launch day.
- 100% RSVP rate on launch day – 55 media / influencers.
- 27 media interviews secured.
- R5.6 million worth of coverage secured (AVE);
- Campaign ROI: 43:1 (Based on AVE values obtained).